Argentina looked impressive, while Brazil showed a keen defensive nature. England stumbled into the second round, while Japan made a shock progression into the knockout round.
With the first round complete, here’s a wrap up of how the groups ended and what my original predictions were:
My Prediction – Mexico (W), France (R), Uruguay, South Africa
Actual Result – Uruguay (W), Mexico (R), France, South Africa
– France had an epic self destruct and Uruguay stole top spot over an unconvincing Mexico.
My Prediction – Argentina (W), Nigeria (R), South Korea, Greece
Actual Result – Argentina (W), South Korea (R), Nigeria, Greece
– Argentina won all three, while South Korea came out and impressed and sent Nigeria home
My Prediction – England (W), Slovenia (R), USA, Algeria
Actual Result – USA (W), England (R), Slovenia, Algeria
– Took faith in England and they almost didn’t make it through, USA snuck through with a 92nd minute goal in their final game to take first place
My Prediction – Germany (W), Australia (R), Ghana, Serbia
Actual Result – Germany (W), Ghana (R), Serbia, Australia
– Germany came out strong and dominated Australia, stuttered against Serbia but still took top spot.
My Prediction – Netherlands (W), Cameroon (R), Denmark, Japan
Actual Result – Netherlands (W), Japan (R), Cameroon, Denmark
– The Netherlands were dominant, while a crafty Japan side snuck in after an impressive win over Denmark in their final group game
My Prediction – Paraguay (W), Italy (R), New Zealand, Slovakia
Actual Result – Paraguay (W), Slovakia (R), New Zealand, Italy
– Paraguay easily won this group, Italy showed they’re old and need to rebuild, allowing Slovakia into the next round
My Prediction – Brazil (W), Ivory Coast (R), Portugal, North Korea
Actual Result – Brazil (W), Portugal (R), Ivory Coast, North Korea
– Brazil easily won this group, but an unlucky and unfocused Ivory Coast slipped up against Portugal and allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to take his team to the next round.
My Prediction – Spain (W), Chile (R), Switzerland, Honduras
Actual Result – Spain (W), Chile (R), Switzerland, Honduras
– Spain took the group after an opening loss to Switzerland, while Chile showed why they’re one of the darkhorse’s of the tournament
I correctly predicted the winner of 6/8 groups, while only going 18/32 for a correct average of 57%. Not too shabby indeed.
Check back soon for my Round Of Sixteen predictions.