The World Cup is fasting approaching for the Soccer Football world and for the most part Football Associations and fans like are ansy to get it started.
With most World Cup’s the host country will release a theme song for the tournament, however, some countries *cough* England *cough* release song’s for their campaign to win it all. With The FA announcing this year that there will be no official song for the WC, here’s a list of the Top 5 England World Cup Songs.
5. We’re on the Ball – Ant and Dec (2002) – One of the cheesiest song’s I have ever heard, but the Comedic Duo ‘s song is catchy and was certainly memorable for its witty lyrics. Check it here.
4. Vindaloo – Fat Les (1998) – The unofficial cult classic from the ’98 WC is one that you can’t get out of your head. Obviously any song named after a Curry dish must be a classic right? Even better, the music video located here is a sweet parody of the Bitter Sweet Symphony video by The Verve. You should go listen to it. Now.
3. World At Your Feet – Embrace (2006) – In a year where England was hurting and worry filled fans heading into the ’06 WC, this song was a beacon of hope that after 40 years we would lift the trophy again. We were wrong, but the song is still awesome and conveniently found here.
2. World In Motion – New Order (1990) – A song that really captured the nation’s feelings and an instant classic. I can’t help but love it! Check it here to hear it in all its awesomeness.
1. Three Lions – Lightning Seeds (1998) – When World Cup time comes around, this song is instantly played a dozen or so times a day for me. It’s a song that gives hope to England fans and will get you pumped up for gametime no matter what. You need to hear it, so go here.
Henry Whitfield is an avid sports fan who covers everything and anything in the sports world, while focusing on hockey and football. Follow him on twitter @HenryWhitfield.