With the Lottery this evening on TSN, the debate for who will be the number one picked player in this years NHL draft is in full flight.
Whether it is their high level or skill or similar first names, there is very little between Tyler Seguin and Taylor Hall.
Hall – 40 Goals, 66 assists, 106 points in 57 games played, with a +46 rating
Seguin– 48 Goals, 57 Assists, 106 points in 63 games played, with a +17 rating
Seguin posted solid numbers and a great season while playing for a team that was barren of much offense that wasnt from his own stick. Where as, Hall was surrounded by a strong team which resulted in a ridiculously high plus/minus of +46.
With that sorted, here is how I think the Lottery will finish, yes I know its random, and who each team will pick up:
1. Edmonton Oilers (48.2%), Taylor Hall – Unfortunately for them they were full of small, skilled forwards this year and still finished last. I feel they’d benefit by trading this pick and move down to pick up a defenseman.
2. Florida Panthers (14.2%), Tyler Seguin – They will be excited to move up and they need a new franchise player to build around after losing both Lou and JayBow in recent years.
3. Boston via Toronto (18.8%) – Erik Gudbranson – Boston has a habit of liking big defencemen, and this 6-3, 201lbs blueliner will have them licking their lips.
4. Columbus (10.7%) – Cam Fowler – Too bad Hitchcock is gone, because this defenceman is something he’d of given his left leg for earlier in the season. Fowler is a defensive stud and will help shore up a weak blue line.
5. New York Islanders (8.1%) – Brandon Gormley– With Tavares and Moulson showing they have the offensive touch, the Islanders will pick up a defencemen, and Gormley will be a great defenceman for years to come. He’s been an absolute stud for Moncton this year and one of their best players on a start studded team.
Feel free to let me know if you agree or disagree!